View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Iowa State was held the week before classes started (as it still is). There were 15 chapters on campus in 1997:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa

I'm not feeling particularly creative, so I'm naming them after European countries (and, sorry, no fancy color coding):
France
Germany
England
Scotland
Ireland
Greece
Belgium
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Sweden
Netherlands

I think that year there were around 400 women going through rush and we were spread out in all the dorms on campus. I'd been in contact with my roommate earlier in the summer and knew she was going to rush as well. My parents (and high school boyfriend – who didn't last long after I started classes!) helped me move in and get situated before we had a rush group meeting. I think there were around 12 or so on our floor who were rushing and our Rho Chi (they were still called that back then) was a bubbly gal with crazy curly hair named A.M. (names changed to protect the innocent). According to my sweet '97 rush booklet, our rush group number was 18. We were paired with another Rho Chi group and walked around Greekland so the Rho Chis could show us the chapter houses so we hopefully wouldn't get too lost the next day before heading to a Rushee Rally in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

After the rally we headed back to our dorm where our Rho Chi would answer any questions we had. By the time we had settled down, figured out what we would wear the next day and gotten ready for bed, I'm sure it was after 11pm. Parties didn't start until 9am the next day, so we didn't have a super early morning, but nerves still made it difficult to sleep.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.