View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Isn't this show the same as "Who Do You Think You Are" on PBS? Same host, Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. Different network, different title?
Somewhat. They both follow/trace the backgrounds of celebs but FYR episodes focus on 2 or 3 celebs at a time while WDYTYA just does one per episode. Also, WDYTYA the celeb takes the journey (with help obviously) across the country or globe to get the info. FYR, the work is done by the show staff/geneologists/HLG,Jr.

Quote:
Last week, I watched 3 episodes of a pretty new TLC show about adoptees tracking down their birth mothers. I heart that show.

AFAIK, DNA will just tell you percentages of of your racial ancestry. How do they connect it to actual people? Through their own records of DNA tests? And hasn't ancestry.com gobbled up just about every other genealogical site on the Web? This concerns me a bit. I might not want my ancestry as publicly accessible info.
At bolded From wiki:
"Ancestry's brands include Ancestry, AncestryDNA, AncestryHealth, AncestryProGenealogists, Family Tree Maker, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.

Under its subsidiaries, Ancestry.com operates foreign sites that provide access to services and records specific to other countries in the languages of those countries. These include several countries in Europe (covered by Ancestry Information Operations Company[5]) as well as Australia and Canada."