View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Social Media Before/During Recruitment

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CLEAN UP YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA!!! DO IT NOW!

Active members (and alumnae) are constantly looking at facebook/twitter/tumblr/pinterest to learn more about you. We want to see how you present yourself both in appearance and behavior. This can be a great benefit or a great hindrance to you, USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

IT IS NOT TOO LATE!!

My suggestions:

1. Change your profile picture to a simple, cute one of only you. Maybe you didn't send a recruitment picture or maybe they got lost. In that case, this can help sorority women get an idea of who you are. Do not think that the only reason they want to see you is to judge you. Many times, it helps for the girls who are matched with you to know who you are when you walk in the door. You don't want them to confuse you with your mom/aunt/sister/best friend/cousin. You also don't want them to be distracted by your silly facial expression/outfit/boyfriend/pose.

2. Block the public from everything except interests, high school and activities.This means everything. Wall posts especially-You do not want sorority women to get a poor opinion from the comment your jerk ex-boyfriend or idiot little brother wrote. Edit your interests and activities, but keep them public! This helps the girls learn things about you that may not be on your application and pair you up with sisters who have common interests. This is a huge benefit to you because it makes your conversations a lot more fun!

3. Don't post about recruitment during recruitment. This may seem like common sense, but seriously, just don't do it. There was a specific instance last year where my sister was just RAVING about how much she loved a girl, so she pulled up her Facebook only to see she had already 'liked' XYZ sorority's wall and posting 'I LOVED XYZ TODAY, can't see myself anywhere else!!!' Needless to say, we cut her. This also applies to GreekChat, don't post your story live. Anyone on here will tell you that.

All in all, just use your noggin. You're going to college, you are a smart girl, think like one! Make sure that your social media accounts only add to all of the reasons a sorority already loves you!

Good luck!! Remember to breathe, keep an open mind and smile!