View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

First question -- were you actually initiated into the fraternity that you were recruited by in the fall? Would the fraternity consider you a full member?

Second question -- what kind of fraternity is the fraternity you were recruited by in the fall? NIC? Local? Other? (I'm assuming it's not NPHC based on your description of "recruitment" and "rushing.") Is it a member of the campus IFC or similar org?

Third question -- what kind of fraternity is the fraternity you want to rush now?

If you were not fully initiated in the first fraternity, regardless of whether you were called a "pledge" or not, you are probably okay for quiting and rushing a second fraternity, regardless of what types of fraternities you're talking about.

Assuming you were actually fully initiated, and assuming that both fraternities are NIC fraternities or are members of the IFC, you definitely cannot pledge/join the second fraternity as long as the national office of the first fraternity certifies in writing that you are not a member. Even with such documentation in writing, some NIC fraternities have their own policies that would preclude you from being considered for membership. Even if there is no such national policy, some chapters would not consider you for membership. That said, some would, and any chapter that was willing to consider you would probably have a great deal of interest in why you quit the first fraternity.

If the fraternities in question are not NIC or IFC fraternities, then as far as I know, it will pretty much be up the policies of the individual fraternities in question (in mine, for example, you cannot "quit" per se) and the feelings of the chapter you want to rush.