Thread: Badge Trends?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
In my chapter, it is considered the basic. The cost of the "basic" badge is included in our new member dues, unless you choose to go for a more embellished option.
The word "standard" muddles things up I think. Sometimes standard means least-embellished or plain, and other times it means classic/typical.

[warning, comment barage ahead as I catch up]:

Amanda- The AXiD badge with blue & blue sapphires is so pretty! I'm jealous of the blue and blue.

AnchorAlumna- that's a great idea to add the basic badge cost to initiation fees. It works for the men, so why not the women? Especially if there seems to be some apathy. I'll have to remember that little tip if I ever come across it in an advisory capacity.

AZ-AlphaXi- The colony pins are so interesting! It's really cool that you get to keep them and use them as a guard. Adds a really nice personal touch, too.

SidneyK- I agree in theory, "plain" badges shouldn't have a stigma against them. I can see how that could come up in some chapters though where everyone was getting xyz jeweled badges and one person couldn't afford it and got plain, which then puts the association for all future plain badges that they couldn't afford the jeweled one- rather than that she CHOSE the plain one. Sometimes I really admire the "plain" badges without jewels- the plain gold Kappa key has a little something that the jeweled keys don't. Something in the styling of the gold, I think, I can't quite figure it out. But I'm a color person and sapphires are my birthstone, so I went the jeweled route.

AZTheta- Thanks for sharing some of the Theta varieties- for some reason the different jewel options seem more apparent on Theta badges, and I can't decide which one I like most! Although the custom one you were hoping for would definitely be high on the list, that was absolutely stunning.

SthrnZeta- I'm not sure about big sis dangles, for Kappa at least... dangles do exist but I don't see them as frequently as I do for other orgs. My guess is it's mostly chapter by chapter, and you could probably do whatever you want!

Psi U MC Vito- I totally agree, it would be great if the men did a badge day as well. Sometimes all the "formalities" of NPC has its perks, and badge day is definitely one of them! I don't know many men who wear their badges to non-Greek events after college, but I don't know if that's the men I happen to know or perhaps because there isn't a gentle prodding from higher ups to represent.

And that's enough of my long-winded-ness for the moment. I am loving these posts, seeing all the different badges and options- and reading the comments about different traditions/thoughts! Keep them coming, especially with pictures I could look at these all day.