Thread: Snap Bids?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Snap bids can be extended when a chapter does not meet quota through regular bid matching. I am not sure, but I think they also can be extended if a chapter meets quota but is still under campus total. However, not to be confused with open bids, snap bids are extended immediately after bid match. A member of the chapter (new member educator typically) contacts the PNM directly to ask if she would like to join the new member class. Because the snap is picked up within hours of bid match, usually the other new members are not aware that the snapped girl did not receive a matched bid. Anyway, a PNM is not eligible for snap bids if she has suicided or otherwise minimized her options during recruitment. Usually snaps occur when a PNM is cross-cut and a chapter that had been interested has a space or two open after bid match. I know there are GCers who are a lot more Green book knowledgeable than me, who will have more specific information.

As far as how common snaps are at competitive schools - I would say it is more common certainly than COR/COB. No one really knows how common snaps are because typically the only ones who know about it are ones who aren't going to discuss it. The new member doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that she was not a matched bid and the chapter does not want to draw attention to the fact that they missed quota. Panhellenic would know, of course.