View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
I wasn't talking about her chances of being successful in Recruitment or even whether she might make a good member. I was referring to her ability to remain an enrolled college student and not be kicked out of the University for failure to achieve their minimum GPA requirements. The OP is already on Academic Probation. It would be one thing if she said last semester was a struggle but she's she's doing a bang up job this spring. That's not what she said, rather she hopes she'll earn a 2.3. While no longer probation level that still sounds like struggling to me.

Is it wise to add the time demands of a sorority (chapter meetings, new member meetings, sisterhood activities, Panhellenic speakers/events, philanthropy events, social functions, etc.) on top of that? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going Greek. I wouldn't be an advisor if I wasn't. But just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's the best thing for them. We can never forget that the primary purpose of going to college is to get a good education.
I misinterpreted what you said, thinking that you meant that sophomore status and involvement in only one activity would be two "strikes" against a PNM at any school, so I wanted to clarify that those wouldn't be "strikes" at JMU like they would at an SEC school like Bama.

I absolutely agree with everything else you just said.

If the OP could miraculously get 4.0s the next three semesters, she might have a shot at getting a bid as a junior (though she'd have fewer chapters from which to choose). She'd almost certainly have a better chance than she would as a sophomore with a *hopefully* 2.3.