View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Zillini, I think that the OP's GPA is really the only thing working against her (but it sure is a big thing working against her). At JMU, a sophomore with a good GPA and involvement with one club would have a good chance of getting a bid, even at strong chapters, assuming she fits in otherwise.
I wasn't talking about her chances of being successful in Recruitment or even whether she might make a good member. I was referring to her ability to remain an enrolled college student and not be kicked out of the University for failure to achieve their minimum GPA requirements. The OP is already on Academic Probation. It would be one thing if she said last semester was a struggle but she's she's doing a bang up job this spring. That's not what she said, rather she hopes she'll earn a 2.3. While no longer probation level that still sounds like struggling to me.

Is it wise to add the time demands of a sorority (chapter meetings, new member meetings, sisterhood activities, Panhellenic speakers/events, philanthropy events, social functions, etc.) on top of that? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going Greek. I wouldn't be an advisor if I wasn't. But just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's the best thing for them. We can never forget that the primary purpose of going to college is to get a good education.