View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPM View Post
I have not read through all the posts, and I am new here, I'm not going through rush, nor recruitment, and I've never been in a Sorority, but I'm a mom of a young lady who did a number of years ago and what to share from a mom's perspective of the growth I have witnessed in my daughter over the past 4 years.

Even before she went off to college she knew she wanted to "Rush" and be apart of something bigger than herself, and wanted to be in a Sorority, she even had in her 'mind' what Sororities she wanted to be a part.

She started her Freshman year during the summer, and had an opportunity to meet sisters of various houses, even many who were 'disaffiliated' during that time--based on those who had not disaffiliated' she made presumptions on those who had and what "House" they must belong to, based on these other young ladies.

Come Fall Semester she and her roommate 'rushed' and both had in their minds set on 'just what Sorority" they wanted to belong. As "Rush" week goes they were invited back to some and not others--the some they were invited back to wasn't always the one's they had in mind. In the end they were both invited back to one house, not their 'first, second or even third choice" and my daughter called home 'crying' to me that the houses she wanted 'didn't want her' and her roommate did the same with her mother. As Parents, we asked "Does it matter?" In the grand scheme of things, you wanted to be a part of this sisterhood, and you have met many young ladies that you do not even KNOW what house they belong to, and I think YOU will be very surprised to find out...it will be some of those who will be in the house you least expect. Do not prejudge them when you do not even know them, just as you do not like to be 'prejudged' when someone does not know you. So go, and at least check out this house and get to know these "Sisters as people, as individuals and as Sisters"

She joined that house, and found just what I had told her was true, that those women she 'presumed' were part of another house (based on their looks), were actually from the house she was invited to join, and these women have become her best friends, and she has learned not to judge a person based on looks, clothes, and hair styles.

Since being a member of this house she has spent a summer disaffiliated and others have done the same with her, assumed she was part of a certain house because of her 'looks, style and personality' and they too spent time crying to their mothers, that 'they thought these women were their friends, and how could they not invite them back to 'their house'. She had even told these young women during recruitment,

"Do not assume we belong to a 'certain house' because like me, you too will be surprised by the house we are apart of, and it may or may not be what you 'think'.
So if you get an invitation to any house, even if it's not your 'first, second, or third choice' give it a chance--because someone in that house see's something in you that others may have overlooked, and they see it and thus want you for their sister for life."

She will soon be graduating from college, and will miss her sisters greatly, not just those in her own house, but the sisters she has made over the years who belong to other houses as well, and she will also miss her brothers in the Fraternities. She has come to see that being Greek is not just about "your house being a family" but the entire Greek Community is Her extended FAMILY.

But on another note, Enjoy college, and go the events you can even if your not invited back, there are many groups you can join, that will also make your college years fun. And even if your not invited back you can still get to know them and be friends with them, friends make a family..not living in the 'same house".
I "hope" you don't "Mind" if we "doubt" this.