View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Brittin, I will share something with you that my recent AU graduate said she appreciated during her rush week. I gave her a box to open the first day of rush. It was filled with notes of encouragement to be opened everyday. I included silly old pictures, or little happy's that would fit in envelopes. I even wrote one day from her dog's perspective. I am sure countless moms did the same as it helped me "let her go" and gave her a little hug from home each day. When she would text or call during that week (I let her initiate this), we purposely did not talk about rush, unless she wanted to, and I always would say, "well, what do you think?". By the end of the week, she was exhausted and just wanted text/call and talk about anything but rush...yeah, she even skyped the dog . She kept an open mind all week and ended up joining a sorority of wonderful young women that was different from her legacy groups. She had a fantastic AU greek experience, as did I, decades earlier. AU has an awesome Greek System, and she had friends in almost every sorority. Both of us have been writing recs this year and we talked about the excitement and the challenges ahead for our young friends, and she reminded me about the notes (I had forgotten) and the communication and how much it all meant to her, so I thought I would pass it on (even though she may read this and it wouldn't be a surprise, it is still personal between you and your daughter ). Best of luck to your daughter!

War Eagle!