Thread: Cosby & Jesse
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Jesse's a hypocrite!

Quote:
Originally posted by ramrod
I definitely agree w/Iconoclastic. If these remarks were made by Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell our community would have been in an uproar. Both would've been labeled sell outs. I was at Constitution Hall in DC when he made the remarks and honestly a lot of us were stunned. I think it's very easy to make a speech criticizing poor Blacks to an audience of middle and upper class blacks. The problem that I have w/some of his comments is that they target poor blacks. The issues within our educational system that he referred to exists in our poor communities as well as our affluent communities. I live in DC and the schools in Prince Georges County (home to many wealthy blacks) are just as bad as those in DC. I wish he would have commented on that. The bottom line is in our communities, both poor and affluent, we are failing our kids. We need to stop pointing a finger and acting like wealthy black folks are doing such a great job at educating their kids and poor black folks are not. That's just not the case.

I don't think Bill was criticizing poor black people for being poor, I think he was criticizing the way in which they are so apathetic in raising thier children and persuing the opportunities in this country. How many more foreigners have to come to this country and start from stratch and go on to become doctors, lawyers and engineers. It doesn't take money to better your situation it takes

DISCIPLINE!!!!!!! Something a whole lot us lack.