View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Yeah, not sure what school you is but my university's Early Ed program is one of best in the state. No bulletin board classes or Dr. Seuss.
My undergrad was Texas A&M - College Station.

Quote:

I have a graduate degree in special education. I WISH all I learned about were kids books and Dr. Seuss.

As mentioned before, the concept of "well my major is more difficult than yours" is not really a thing.
YMMV - At A&M there were usually a lot of engineering majors during freshman year. Some of them did not achieve the minimum GPA to move on to their sophomore year in engineering, so they had to drop out. When they did, they usually went to engineering technology.

Quote:

If Suzy's major is such that she barely has the 2.7 for recruitment, that major is probably not inherently more difficult than anyone else, it is probably just not the best fit for Suzy's skillset.

Ex: If you are in Computer Science and getting a 2.5, Comp Sci is not for you.
Again, YMMV. One of the biggest challenges that you will find in the natural sciences and engineering (now called STEM) is that a lot of the professors are non-native English speakers. For example, one of my TAs for my Biochem lab was Chinese. At the time, I did not know that there is no letter 'L' in the Chinese language. So, every time she would lecture she would "drop" the 'Ls" from her words. So first I had to understand what she was saying, THEN, I could understand the material she was teaching. That can become a frustrating environment to try to learn, which may unfortunately affect your grade.

But, to the young lady's concern about her major. I would become very involved in your major's undergraduate student group. I remember my freshman year the president of the Undergraduate Biochemistry Society was a Tri-Delta, and another 'friend-of-a-friend' of mine in my Biochem major was the president of A Chi O our junior year.

I would talk to these women to see how they balance the major with sorority commitments.