View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference day

I was really torn at what I was going to do. I did not know how I was going to choose between the three. I opened up my packet and inside:
Cedar
Pine

Well I guess I didn't have to worry about choosing. I tried to figure out what went "wrong" and why Sweetgum didn't ask me back. I do think the person rushing me was looking for clues about my interest and I never said stuff like "I love the sisterhood" and "I would like to be a part of something like this." But getting released by Sweetgum did kind of jar me pref.

Up first was Pine . Arguably the most sought after group on campus. At this school, at that time, Pine and Acacia were almost universally regarded as the top two. They both had significantly higher GPA standards than the other 4 groups. The party was touching and I felt wanted. But not overly so. They were rushing me clean. And I did not understand that they were saying everything they "legally" could. I left with a great feeling - but after what happened with Sweetgum I did not know if they really wanted me.

Up next was Cedar - The ceremony brought out a lot of tears, but not from me. I felt emotionally more connected to Pine . But Cedar really made me feel wanted. The president stopped by, they introduced me to the pledge trainer, they kept telling me how much they wanted me. Lots and lots of "dirty rushing."

So time to make my decision back at the UC.

I'm a statistical girl. I knew my reference for Cedar was glowing. And based on their past rushes since they sometimes didn't make quota - If you got invited to pref - you were almost assured a bid. And quite frankly all the dirty rushing probably worked opposite of what they hoped.

My next door neighbor in the dorm was kind of a rush buddy. She and I went to the same two sororities for pref. She decided to suicide the Pine . I tried to talk her out of it. I liked both and would have been proud to wear either letters. She did not listen to me.

For me I listed:
Pine
Cedar

So many girls wanted Pine . I figured I would not get Pine - and I would be happy with Cedar.

Last edited by BlueBayou; 07-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.