View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
I advise my sorority's chapter at CSUN and thus have been closely involved with this issue.

Recruitment (with the exception of perhaps a couple of chapters participating in COB) has largely ended for the semester. What was actually communicated is that all pledging/pledge education/membership intake activities were to cease and desist. Chapters were given the option to initiate their pledges/new members immediately or not at all--in the latter case hoping, I suppose, that the never-initiated pledges would return in a future recruitment? It seems like most chapters would probably choose to initiate sooner rather than lose their newest members.

Recruitment for the spring semester has not yet been canceled, but the official statement said that it would be unlikely. I think this is a real blow for the smaller organizations (especially those chapters that are senior-heavy) that rely on 2 recruitment periods per year to grow their membership.
Thanks for the additional info. The reports on the news have said no pledging activities and I've been wondering to what extent. Like could a chapter still have separate new member meetings or would the NMs only be allowed to go to regular chapter meetings. With your info, seems like the NMs get initiated ASAP.

CSUNs on semesters, right? Wouldn't they be close to initiation time anyhow? If Chi O was on campus, I could see this being a big problem since they are the only ones who still hold over NMs for grade reports.

I find it naïve of the school to think that a chapter that hazes pledges/NMs would not do the same to new initiates.