Thread: My AI adventure
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your thoughtful posts, yellowrose26 and Sciencewoman. It seems to me that AI is looked down upon by some regulars on this site, as if AI seekers are interlopers. I don't understand that attitude. Whether an organization's decision makers approve of AI as a way to reward special women, or see it as a way increase the number of reliable members who will contribute financiallyand with service, that does not diminish the status of women who joined in college.
Yes, an AI's perspective within the organization will be different from that of a woman who joined in college, but so what? The experiences and perspectives of collegiate members vary enormously from campus to campus and chapter to chapter, too.
There is nothing wrong with someone's thoughtfully considering an organization that she already has a tie to. And, I see no problem with researching all organizations that are open to AI to determine if one seems to be a good fit. Some organizations make it very clear on their national websites that they welcome AI interest.
Strong organizations generally need as many good members as they can get, regardless of whether they joined as a shy, awkward 18 year old at a weak chapter or a sharp, polished 18 year old at a highly sought after chapter or a 30 year old professional woman who would fit in very nicely with an alumnae chapter that really needs more members to accomplish their goals - one of which is to help recruit more quality members.