View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Oh, good another thread where white people make excuses for racist behavior.
Just out of curiosity...which costume was blackface, and which was racist? Of the ones we've seen surface, we've seen:

(1) Gold Diggers. It is a Kanye West song, and the girls dressed up as gold miners, with dirt smudged on their faces not because of race, but because they were dirty, panning for gold.
(2) A girl drew a goatee on her face, but did nothing to alter her skin color.
(3) One picture that has been floated as blackface appears to show two black students and a third with an artificial butt, but one that is clearly used to mock a specific celebrity (a white one at that) as opposed to a race.

Now if more pictures emerge (and I believe the UCLA association filing the complaint has alleged they will) then OK. We have a problem. Based just off the "offensive" photos that have been leaked, there is nothing that even remotely approaches blackface. Not even close.

Trust me, 95% of these articles cause me to bang my head on the desk because of the insensitivity and racism (or sexism, or whatever the case is). This one I think so far is grossly unfair to the men and women. They've been alleged of blackface, one of the most grossly insensitive acts out there, and yet not a shred of proof (thus far, I repeat) has been offered to prove that this actually happened. There is a very real violence of forcefully silencing the voices and actions of others. There is an equal violence of forcing voices and actions into people's lives that aren't actually there.

Point is, if these students are alleging blackface, there needs to be proof, that is how our system works. The burden of proof is on the accuser. There is absolutely none at this point.

And I repeat, if/when the additional photo that hold the proof of this racist action surfaces, obviously everything I've said is irrelevant.