View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been thinking about this since the summer and of course, I’m coming from an outsiders perspective.

For those members who are disappointed in their national leadership and a lack of response about racism and justice, I wonder if they are barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

Sure, I’ve seen individuals (and some chapters) from IFC and NPC support social justice initiatives and I think that’s great. My alma mater has had a ton of racist instances in the news over the past month and the NPC ladies have been active and supportive. But are the national organizations, who haven’t historically been anywhere near the forefront combatting racism or fighting for social justice, equip to make those type of changes on a larger scale? Is it realistic to expect that to suddenly happen after (in some cases) well over 100 years of existence? How many members would want to buy in? How many PNM’s care about that when they participate in recruitment?

I wonder if some members are being realistic with those type of expectations when they join? Maybe they need to get the brotherhood/sisterhood, philanthropy and leadership experiences from their fraternity/sorority and fill the social action void with other organizations on campus.

With the news this week, frankly, I can imagine it would be rough for some chapters to make changes, because they can’t stop some of their members from being actively racist. If you can’t agree on that, it’s hard to move forward.