View Single Post
Old 10-31-2001, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Warning - long story...

I can't remember if I've told this story in another thread or not, so here goes:

There was a girl who went through Formal Rush while I was a junior. In the middle of Rush, which occured a few days before classes started in the fall, the girl was kicked out of her dorm for conduct reasons (if I remember correctly, she physically attacked her roommate) and had to leave school before the quarter started. Therefore, she had to drop out of Rush.

She came back the next year, and rushed formally again. However, by this time all of the sororities had heard about her being kicked out of the dorm and no one gave her a bid. This didn't stop her. She attended every informal rush party held on campus, regardless of what sorority was holding it.

She came to our informal rushes in the winter and spring, and both times she was cut before our invite-only party (which was informal rush's version of a pref party). At the end of Spring rush, our VP of membership personally called each girl who was not given a bid so that they would not show up at the Panhellenic office and be embarrassed in front of the girls who did receive bids.

This girl showed up at the Panhellenic office anyway! She waited around in the hall as the rest of our new girls picked up their bids and then, as the last girl was leaving the office with our VP of membership, she stopped them in the hallway and demanded to know where her bid was! The VP tried to pull her aside and quietly explain (AGAIN) that she didn't receive a bid, but the girl wouldn't hear of it. She made a huge scene in the hallway (which is in the center of our Student Union where tons of people were walking by), screaming at our VP about how she should have been given a bid and what terrible people our sisters were to have not extended her one. Unfortunately, the story doesn't end there...

Apparently, this girl's mother was just as crazy as her daughter...

I was president at the time all this happened (lucky me ) and received a very nasty letter from mommy dearest basically saying that she would make sure Delta Zeta would pay for "abusing" her daughter. Around the same time I received a call from the Student Affairs director. The mother had called him, crying about how her daughter had been emotionally abused by our sorority and how we had violated Panhellenic's policy stating that rushees are entitled to fair, ethical treatment by NPC organizations during the rush process. So, I had to take the VP of Membership to the meeting with me (along with a copy of the nasty letter) to explain why the girl wasn't extended a bid. We had to tell the director exactly how our informal rush process works (basically, interested girls show up to open parties and the ones we like are invited back to one final party before bids are extended). We explained that we did everything in our power to prevent anyone who was cut from being "embarrassed." We also mentioned the girl's history of rushing every other sorority on campus and not being picked up, in addition to her history of being a conduct problem in her old dormitory. That, combined with psycho mom's letter, were enough to prove our point.

In the end, my chapter was cleared of all the false accusations and the girl ended up pledging a local sorority. One of my best friends was a member of the local, and tried to warn the girls that they were asking for trouble, but at the time their policy was to accept nearly all interested rushees so they took the girl. She lasted a few months before causing all kinds of turmoil among the girls and being kicked out.

Last edited by dzrose93; 10-31-2001 at 02:00 PM.