Thread: Advisors...
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2001, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Well, to add my opinion on the board, I'll tell you my expectations of an advisor and then tell you about mine.
I believe an advisor is a person who is there for the chapter, and the individual members to guide them in their pursuits and to provide support. An advisor is of course a liaison between the chapter and national personnel, but always is on the side of the chapter in disputes. The advisor gives an opinion or suggestions on how business should be performed, but does not order it.
The advisor should devote enough time to the chapter for their needs, although the chapter has to realize that it is a volunteer position.

The advisor of my chapter is the ideal. She was a founding member of our chapter, and has been in the role of advisor for about 4 years now. With her comes old tradtitions, but she also welcomes change(and encourages it!). She attends just about every meeting even though she works full time and has two children. She attends most philanthropies and fundraisers. She always lets us know her opinion, especially on important matters but then reminds us that she is alum and does not vote...but we usually agree with her. She gets on our backs when reports are due to make sure we don't slack off. She is someone we can all turn to as individuals if we have a problem as i know many of my sisters have. She really is one of the greatest women I have met; she has restarted our local alum chapter,and is active in her church and with the Scouts. I don't know how she does it all!
Anyways, I just wanted everyone to know how lucky my chapter is to have Laurie as our advisor...even though we stress her out sometimes.