Thread: Advisors...
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2001, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

James - MAN, I can't wait to meet you in Memphis at Conclave. I DIG the post of yours on topic.

I have served as a Chapter/District/National advisor for over ten years, and I can tell you James is dead on right. The plan and strategies laid out are solid, I've used many of them myself and can assure you they work.

The only thing I would add: I currently serve as a Commissioner for Kappa Sigma - big title for a small job. I say that because the real "action" is at the chapter level. My home chapter is about 20 minutes from my home and office. So last year about this time, after having not been directly involved/responsible for the chapter for over 3 years - I decided to make a run at getting involved. I started visiting the chapter at least once a week, unannounced. I just show up, watch TV with the guys, help clean the house, play volleyball, whatever. I also attend a meeting at least once/month. I found that getting to know the Brothers and pledges personally made a HUGE impact on my credibilty effectiveness when helping face any issue. I can honestly say there are MANY young men in the chapter that now call me with personal problems, not to mention the weekly calls from the president.

I hold no title as a chapter advisor (although I did discuss my involvement with the titled advisors and still keep them informed of things) and the guys keep me coming back. Several graduating seniors in the last meeting in May brought me to tears with stories of how thankful they were to have a "plain ol' brother" alum like me around when things got tough for them. That's what keeps me going back.

The point - if you see an alum that you think would be good for you chapter - INVITE them to start spending time with the chapter. Be a friend (albeit one that draws very clear lines) first, then offer advice.

Brad