View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHoosier View Post
BBH, you were very honest about your daughter's journey, and I'm so happy that she received a bid from her legacy sorority. Not all legacies had that positive result, and I know we've already discussed that it can't be expected at a competitive recruitment school like IU. I am wondering if you have any insight on her success. Did your daughter already know girls in that chapter or have other connections? Was her mom a member of that chapter?
My daughter is very happy with her legacy chapter so we are glad it worked out for her. As for her journey, no her mom and I did not go to IU. We went to a mid-sized school in another state.

My daughter did know 1 active in the chapter but didn't realize it until she attended a legacy night event in December. The active she does know had her sister going through rush and didn't even get into the chapter but joined another. Not sure if the chapter cut her or if she didn't select them in the rankings.

She didn't submit any rec letters to the chapter either. She did indicate on her form that she was a legacy but that was the only thing she did really. Through rush she did discover that one of the active sisters was in a class with her in the fall and that girl actually rushed her in round 2 and 3. Honestly, she really didn't do anything special leading up to rush.

Her roommate also landed with her legacy chapter and didn't know anyone since she is from out of state. I don't think she did anything special either and in fact, through the first two rounds wasn't really hitting it off with her legacy chapter. That changed in the round of 9 and pref.

The one that surprised us is my daughters friend who is a double legacy for a certain house and her mom attended IU. She was cut just before preference round but she did land in another house and seems happy with the outcome but was disappointed in not getting her legacy house.

My daughter actually knew more girls in other chapters that all cut her after the first round, including one with my neighbors daughter. From what we saw being a legacy really only helps you in getting to round 2 and after that it really is up to each girl and their conversations. She doesn't know yet how many other in her PC are also legacies since she is still getting to know them.

She does know 5 of the girls in her PC, three from High School and two of them are in her LLC at school. I wish I could give you all some tips or tricks but honestly, at these large competitive schools it really is up to each girl. Legacy or not, I really do feel like she landed in the right spot just from what we've seen so far.