View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
This is awful, but I'm so ready for my parents to retire and move down by us, which is their plan. It will be so nice to show all of DH's family that is what a nice, loving, caring family looks like. Although MIL does like her other DIL, so it could just be me.
The Boyfriend's parents might come out this December and I'm thinking that it will be interesting to see them meet my parents. They are polar opposites and have nothing in common except that both sets of parents love the boyfriend. The jury is still out on whether or not the ILs like me. I would say they don't, but the boyfriend says they do.

Let's see both sets of parents are near each other in age, except, mine had retirement plans and are retired. His are still paying off their house 23 years later with no plans of retirement even though they are going into their 60s and having to ask their son to help them with payments. My parents have a clean, fairly uncluttered house even though they have 2.5 other people living there (brother is currently moving out) and a dog. In-laws have three people other than themselves living there, but i can almost assure you it has been years since that carpet was vacuumed (not even going into all the other cleaning things... when I leave the house I practically bleach myself). My parents are open to every type of belief (religious and political not like oh its okay to kill people belief) while the in laws are very vocal and judgmental. I can assure you they will not be happy with the wedding if the boyfriend and I get married since it won't be as religious as they want it. My parents want us to wait to get married and to have me get my education before we do anything. His parents don't understand why I'm going to school, why I want to work, why we aren't married and why we are hesitant on having kids (ever).
I know my family isn't perfect and I have complained about them countless times, however, his family terrifies me.

Somewhere in my mind, I know that when you get married you marry the family as well, but I keep hoping it isn't true... Maybe if we live in Russia, they won't follow us.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot