View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're looking for higher pay, then higher education isn't the place for you. I just earned my masters in higher ed and worked in Greek Life for a year. Greek Life is the bottom of the totem pole for many student affairs positions. It's mostly people fresh from grad school who can devote 60-80 hour weeks while getting paid for 40 hours. Even my 20 hour assistantship ended up being over 40 hours a week at times. It was a really fun job, but very tiring and thankless. Plus, most student affairs professionals are constantly on call and have to deal with crazy issues at all hours of the day.

If you really want to work in Greek Life, you'll need to get your masters in higher ed or student affairs. I can't think of any school that will hire anyone in a Greek Life position without a masters in student affairs anymore. As for job hopping, turnover is very high in student affairs, especially in Greek Life. Like I said, people get worn out doing it and move on. Even people I know who are 110% set on working in Greek Life for years end up moving on after three years or so because they are so burnt out. You might be better off seeing if ASA has any job openings.

Good luck!