View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Was anybody else puzzled by the contrasting quotes--the love, then the hate for her sorority and Greek life?
OP (and a lot of other people who do drop/disaffiliate) likely have unrealistic expectations about how things are going to go after disaffiliation. It seems to me that many who disaffiliate expect to be able to do so without affecting any of the relationships that were formed while they were a member of their GLO. In effect, they want to continue to reap (at least some of) the benefits they had while a member of the GLO, and are then surprised when their disaffiliation leads to changes in some relationships with their former sisters.

Disaffiliation is, in a way, like breaking up with your sisters/brothers. You're removing yourself from part of the shared commonality that initially brought you together, and of course that's going to change your relationship with them, especially if they are still members of the GLO. If the GLO was the only tie binding you to someone, it is reasonable to expect that friendship may end if you sever that tie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating or shunning of former members or for necessarily having to give up any friendships. At the same time, you cannot expect to be treated like a sister/brother if you no longer are.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee