View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: "We didn't vote about whether Rosa Parks got to sit on the front of the bus or

Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
This sentence made no sense...who put up the marker? The soliders or people trying to memorialize them? And since when is the miliary solely a Christian organization? What about the other religious groups that soliders may be affliated with? If your argument is that it should stay up to remember the soliders then I think you need to consider getting a Star of David and a Cresent Moon up there too.
After WWII and the Korean War, the veterans in San Diego put that cross on Mt. Soladad, Mt. Helix and another mountain in Sweetwater to memorialize the members who were lost during the war. That is just how old these crosses are. They correspond to the historical Spanish accents throughout the whole San Diego landscape--that is why they were painted in the Spanish stucco white colors. There are 2 large Spanish built catholic churches also atop 2 mountains in San Diego that correspond to the ones in San Juan Capistrano and San Francisco. They are the Presidio, which is a National Park and a historical marker and the Mission De Alcala, which is a historical marker. I think either the Jesuits or the Franciscans still hold services at these locations.

Also there is Point Loma that has the school Pt. Loma Nazarene that follows religious Spanish architecture, as well as La Jolla, San Diego State University and Balboa Park.

It is just the history of the city. I am not make it up, nor am I bullshitting here.

Most of the veterans after WWII and the Korean war were Christian and so were their families.

You have to understand that San Diego is still a MILITARY TOWN--with the largest Naval operations during WWII, Korean, Vietnam and the Gulf War... They also have Camp Pendleton Marines and the Marine Helicopter Base in Miramar. Even the old MCRD buildings that were allegedly sold off in the 1990s are built in the religious Spanish architecture style. However, the Naval ops center as well as north island don't have too many Spanish build buildings, but Coronado does.

The issue is the removal of something endearing to San Diego for over 60 years. It is part of its history for ALL wars except maybe this current one. Either way, most Navy and Marine personnel as well as other outfits MUST go through San Diego if they are deployed off something that is on water or a naval plane... Even some stealths go through San Diego--and I've seen them personally...

Yes, maybe it was not appropriately handled the first time this cross burning idea was brought up in 1980-something... The fact that the land was governmental land, etc. was an issue. However the people voted and changed that issue and made it private land sometime in the 1990's. Then there were issues with the way the cross just sticks out, that got voted on and folks turned it down. Why? Too many MILITARY PERSONNEL not appreciating the idea of removing ANY MEMORIAL to them...

Hayle, it ain't about other religions putting up their icons on mountains if they want to. In fact, some do in San Diego--or maybe Mexico, I haven't seen very many on a large piece of land like Mt. Soledad, but they are there. The Buddhist Temple in University Heights and the Mosque in Claremont off Balboa Ave. And there are numerous Jewish markers all over San Diego now. The Mormons have a HUGE temple in La Jolla off the 5 and it is a monstrosity...

What this vote is about is respecting the veterans who come home back from war and telling them their memorials built for them are bullshit and invalid...

And as far as the Atheist go, well, you cannot serve without getting fragged if you're an atheist in the military. You better believe in something... Your CO will make you believe in him if you don't... I am not being funny, it is just a fact... All I can say, if you don't believe in nothing, good luck on the battlefield...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana