View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl View Post
I think to me the strength of a greek organization has a little bit of both.

It has several chapters on campus. (meaning new chapters that come to campus are welcomed and thrive and don't die off)

Most chapters are at total which would be like 65 or 75 people. (there are enough people involved that the greek life is thriving on campus, but it hasn't become something that "everyone joins" i.e. it still feels something special when you get a bid to a chapter compared to half of the freshmen on campus joining... the specialness(sp) feeling kinda disappears for me.)

Other important factors:
intergreek relations - do people for the most part get along with everyone
scholastics
community service/philanthropy
...probably some other things too my brain just blanked out.

__________________________________________________ ___________

As for the whether I would rather join a school with fewer chapters and larger #s of members or more chapters and smaller #s of members. I would have to say that I would go with more chapters less members, which is actually what I joined into.

I like the opportunity of there being several chapters to choose from. If I only had 5 I would find it hard because I know on my campus every sorority is different personality and everything and I dont think if I had to I would be able to successfully condense our 11 chapters down to 5 without them falling apart.

I would probably be extremely intimidated by going to a chapter for rush that had more than 75 sisters. I also feel as though I wouldn't be able to be as close with sorority sisters in a chapter that has over a 100 members than a smaller one. Then I would feel as though I'm a bad sister. It would seem almost impossible to enjoy a movie night as a whole chapter. Whereas when my chapter has a movie night it really feels like a family gathering.

My ideal chapter size would be 65-75 sisters (this is for me only; I'm not trying to say that large chapters are bad I just don't think personally I would fit into a large chapter)
yea at mixers there will be like 75-100ish guys (some older guys don't show up to all of them) in then theres like 200-300 girls from said sorority, works out quite nice for the guys lol.

our system is more like the 8 big ones type of thing.