View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Just to clear this up, it wasn't a Houston Police officer (as in HPD), it was a Bellaire officer. Bellaire has its own force, just as West U and all the Memorial Villages do. They are all notorious for being over the top in their reactions to situations (not that HPD doesn't do stupid things as well, but they're innocent in this one).

An example of overzealousness of these little police forces (doesn't come close to this poor family's experience but royally pissed me off!!-

On Christmas Eve at around 10 pm, my husband was driving my family home from dinner through Bunker Hill Village. He was speeding as he got off I-10 on the feeder road. Mind you, he is driving with his wife and 3 children in a late model Lexus sedan. We don't look like crooks or bad guys. Well, the officer called for backup and 3 other cars showed up (like it was some type of bank heist!), and they kept us waiting in the car for around 1/2 an hour while they checked my husband's record - he hasn't had a ticket in around 5 years, has never been arrested, and is a complete law abiding citizen of Houston (not Bunker Hill, they let them go without a glance!!).

I don't in any way want to compare our stupid situation with what this poor family went through!! Just relating the over reaction these cops show to anything (unless they know you are a resident of the Village)

They are like Barney Fifes with guns - SCARY. And, watch out if you are black or Mexican, they'll stop you for nothing just to make sure you're not causing trouble!!!

These little forces use intimidation and excessive force all the time.

They basically suck! But, the people in Bellaire, West U, and the Villages love them because the keep the crime down (ie, the riff faff out)...

I hope the guy not only gets fired, but prosecuted to the fullest extent. It doesn't say in the article, but if the family is black, I'm sure the cop assumed they were car thieves because they are racist as all get out! This could be prosecuted as a hate crime...
Sounds like Clyde Hill-Medina PD where I grew up. They used to pull over high school kids all the time and I swear they'd just make up reasons. And you better not be going 3 mph over the limit, because you will get ticketed. Oh, and be sure you wear your seat belt to drive two blocks through the neighborhood - my brother and his friends got pulled over and ticketed for that in high school.