View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
In my experience, the matrix listed above wouldn't work at a small campus with only 2 or 3 chapters because then you run into a situation of one chapter appearing to be more affordable than another, but yet on another campus with more chapters, you don't want to be known as the "cheap sorority" either.

I don't know if this is a problem anymore, but a few years ago on one campus I work with, it was like pulling teeth to get accurate, fair information to provide to PNMs. One chapter on campus was reporting the bare minimum to panhellenic, and NOT telling the PNMs about how they fined out the wazoo (which is why they were able to afford listing their dues so low). My chapter preferred to list our dues as all inclusive, but finally had to pull a few things out and list as separate "optional charges" just to appear more financially competitive. Again, I don't think this is an issue anymore... but it definitely used to be, and it was a complete nightmare and a headache.

Recruitment strategy should not stoop to being dishonest about financial obligations
This is EXACTLY the situation my chapter is currently in, and why I posed the question. Panhel only lists "total cost per year" prices with no explanation and does not provide an opportunity for PNMs to ask about financials or for chapters to provide a breakdown of where the money goes except during recruitment parties. We have been taught how to discuss financials should they come up during a party, but it makes us look bad (we chose to go all-inclusive as well, and nobody else has even though that's the price we were asked for) and frankly, it sucks to have a party full of awesome women who you want to join your chapter who have already decided they wouldn't accept a bid because your number is so much higher, even if it actually isn't that different from the others in the long run.

It's definitely a Panhel issue, I agree 100%. It's just frustrating and wanted to get opinions from others on whether PNMs asking was a good idea or not (as on, encouraging rho chis to tell the PNMs to ask at houses or not).

I apologize for the slight hijack of the thread and all of the typos. I'm not so great with my new phone yet and was trying to type way too quickly.

Last edited by lilabelle; 07-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.