View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I have one last thought - which might earn me a wrist slap - but I think it's one worth sharing.

I see a lot of Alpha Phi's, both here and on another site, who have expressed frustration with the recruitment strategies. This University of Michigan "expose" (for lack of a better word), just sort of blows open the door of what everybody had suspected and whispered about for several years. I'm sorry that your membership has to deal with this - Alpha Phi is a respected and historic organization. It deserves better leadership.

Get involved in your alumnae chapters, volunteer with collegiate chapters, show up at convention and conferences, raise your hand, speak out. Find others who share your concern and band together. Utilize social media - if there is one thing that Alpha Phi excels at acros campuses, it is their social media presence. Real change comes at a grass-roots level.

And there is another way -- and this is where I might get in trouble for the statement, but it's an action, although perhaps more disruptive than people would like. If you hear of a school opening for colonization, call, identify yourself as an alpha phi, and request that they not invite Alpha Phi to present, or to colonize on their campus, and outline your concerns. Think about it - if LSU, Ole Miss, UGA, and Florida had all said "Sorry, not this time" to Alpha Phi, it would have raised a red flag. It would not impact their current chapters or the current membership. But it certainly would have caught the attention of nationals quickly enough.

I admit I say that from the standpoint of not being an alpha phi sister. I'm not sure I'd have the stomach to make such a recommendation on my own GLO.