View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
do not see this as a reflection on Alpha Phi, which is a stellar organization. It could easily have been your sorority, OldFlDDD, or mine, or honeychile's, or carnation's, or ... you get my drift. As I posted earlier, we all take turns in the hot seat. I actually see it as a reflection on all of Greek Life. We are lumped together, and we all suffer when something like this occurs.
Yes I agree that this could have been any NPC group. I feel very badly for Alpha Phi which has had to deal with back-to-back incidents.

Quote:
Personally, the shortened new member period is not at all to my liking. What NYCMS wrote expresses many of my thoughts. Direct observation reveals that the new members have little to no understanding of the tenets of membership. Ritual seems to be an odious obligation which is poorly implemented instead of being at the core of the sorority's functioning and purpose. Finally, my respect to Chi Omega for sticking to their guns and not initiating until after their new members have made grades.
I also agree regarding the shortened member period. Making grades should be a top priority for any new member. At least with a semester long program, there was the opportunity to become better acquainted with a larger percentage of the actives as well as your own pledge class. Having listened to my chapter sisters accounts regarding their own daughters' new member period, IMO there is too much emphasis upon the gift giving and less on learning about the history and goals of our fraternity.