View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If your group recognizes itself as bottom tier, what is it willing to do in order to change that? How entrenched are tiers? How much alumni support do you have and how can you change that situation for the better?

I look at poorly performing chapters as more of an opportunity for great leaders rather than something to be sneered at.
He's not even in this group, and he hasn't yet gone through recruitment.

To the OP: Visit different chapters. Get to know the members. If you click with a group (whether it's your friend's or another), then work hard to get to know them further and try to secure a bid.

I know you've already said you'd join your friends chapter, but you don't know if you'll even like the chapter, and you don't know if the chapter will want you. And what happens if you end up liking another chapter better? Will your friend be offended? I think the two of you shouldn't make promises before you even meet any fraternity members, and you'd be better off telling your friend that you're going to see what your options are and go where you feel most comfortable. If you're not in his chapter, it doesn't mean you can't be friends.

And if you truly don't care what anyone else thinks, then when/if you receive a bid, and you like the chapter (regardless of whether or not it's your friend's chapter), then accept it.

@~/~~~~