View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FirstAndFinest
This may be a stupid question, but... Do guys need recs for fraternity recruitment????

My (male) cousin will be a freshman at James Madison University in the Fall. I'm a big proponent of the Greek system (duh!) and I think he would be a great asset to any organization. I'd like to hook him up with recs - IF that's what guys do, too.
*Generally speaking* men do not need recommendations for fraternity rush. However, having a recommendation or a letter of introduction may help. (Shouldn't hurt.)

Many chapter's websites - as well as inter/national HQ's websites - have information regarding recruitment. Not only who to contact if interested, but often, an on-line introduction forum that anyone - from the potential new member to legacies - may fill out as well.

My suggestion is for your cousin to check out the James Madison IFC site and then go to each chapter's website and follow their suggestions regarding recruitment. If there isn't any specific information regarding recommendations/letters of introduction/on-line forums to fill out, then go to the inter/national website. As well as the JMU Greek Life Office.

On a more specific level, if there is a particular JMU chapter your cousin is interested in, then again having a recommendation letter sent may help. These are best sent by a member who knows the man rather well. Or at least his reputation. i.e. "I am close personal friends with Mr. So-n-So's family. Mr. Son-n-So was class president, class valedictorian, most popular, lettered in every sport, is a super model and saved the world from nuclear meltdown. He may be worth a look."