View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

trojangal and FSUZeta, I agree with you about the don't-worry -about-recs statements. Even when a brochure or web site tries to convey the message, "GET RECS," a lot of them end up muddying the waters, as I think the University of Kansas (KU) does:

A letter of recommendation is not needed or required by Panhellenic to participate in recruitment. Each individual chapter has its own requirements for letters of recommendation, some chapters require letters and others do not. A letter of recommendation can only help a prospective member. You can try and find an alumna to write a letter of recommendation for you, but if you can not find one, do not stress. Plenty of women who participate in our recruitment do not have any letters of recommendation and still have a great recruitment process.

Okay, that paragraph is on a web page with lots of info on how to get recs, addresses where they are to be sent, etc. For people who are clued in, or who pick up on clues, the message is there: "try to get recs." But people who are totally new to the idea of NPC, and maybe a little shy about appearing to ask for favors, may miss the clues, not get recs, and . . . well, I hope they have a "great recruitment process," but in general, at a fairly "competitive" large Midwestern school like KU, chances are the "process" will be "greater" for those with recs.

Of course, things are different on some really laid-back campuses,
but for places where recs are a good idea at the very least, or a necessity, I wish the message could be clearer!