View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymoo View Post
I am curious on how an expansion works. Two of the schools I am considering will be getting new sororities. That made me wonder how it works. Does that mean it will be mostly freshman the first year, freshmen and sophomores the second year, etc.? If so, how do these girls learn traditions and rituals without upperclassmen?
Colonies typically include members of all class standings.

What usually happens is the Expansion team will come on campus to do their own special recruitment. The team can include women from HQ, volunteer officers, or nearby alumnae. Still, colony recruitment can vary between the different sororities.

They'll go through a new member education led by someone from the organization -- a Leadership Consultant, someone from HQ -- again, this varies by sorority. Nearby collegians and alumnae often attend during ritual ceremonies.

AGD has Pearl Sisters, a program that pairs an alumna member to a colony member. I became a Pearl Sister for the first time with our most recent colonization at Austin Peay. Even though we're thousands of miles apart, we got to know each other very well and I offered my help if she ever had questions about AGD and sent her a small gift right around Initiation time. Since they don't get the traditional big/little sis experience, it's a nice way to help make our colony members feel extra special.