View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There have been many threads on here about certain schools having to cut lots of women who are legacies because there are more legacies rushing than there are spaces in quota. Plus the new release figures compel the more successful chapters to release more women sooner. Sometimes these women are so disappointed they drop out of rush altogether and their female relatives stop supporting the sorority as alumnae.

There have also been threads about how women feel pressured by their female relatives to pledge their legacy chapter even if they don't fit in, or how a woman will end up getting cut from all the other chapters because they assume she'll pledge her legacy chapter - so her options are removed, even if that's not necessarily what she wanted to do.

As more women enter college, more women will go through rush and these issues will keep reappearing.

Is the legacy system "broken"? Could it perhaps be improved by tightening the requirements of who is a legacy (i.e. daughters only, same chapter only), or should it be done away with altogether? Or is this an isolated thing that only happens at a few schools in the country (i.e. the SEC and such) and the system of legacies as is is working out great for the NPC groups on the whole?
and as more women enter college, the more likely that those who do rush could be legacies. i mean, there are more likely to be SGRho legacies in 2007 than, let's say, 1967. you just figure with ever generation there are an exponential amount more legacy PNMs. and of course not EVERY COLLEGE WOMAN will rush and accept a bid, but you are bound to have more and more legacies during recruitment as time goes on.