View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
They want action punished simply because they are offended--possibly placing the academic careers of some other students in jeopardy. They want the power to control others based on their belief that an apology is apparently not enough.
Where has the Asian Student Association called for punishments that could affect any academic careers? I haven't seen reports of any calls for action from the ASA beyond calls for conversations with the goal of minimizing instances of racial insensitivity on campus. The most I have seen punishment-wise has been individual students suggesting that the chapter had placed its charter in jeopardy.

Quote:
And yes, calling a party where people play dress up an "act of injustice," is IMHO, over the top.
Maybe -- they're not words I would choose, because I don't think injustice is the right word. Again though, context matters. And part of the context is that I think what they were calling an "act of injustice" was not just "a party where people play dress up," but a party that the chapter was already on notice was perceived as racially insensitive. It's kind of hard to take an apology seriously that basically says "now that we know how this offended people, we're sorry," when they were told beforehand how people already were offended and went ahead anyway.

And speaking of context, if you're going to cite the "act of injustice" comment, you have to acknowledge that immediately after that comment, they said "If you believe that we have exceeded our capacity, or otherwise disagree, please feel free to voice your concerns. We welcome an open discussion."