View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Seriously not sure how she made it through the whole pledge process without her chapter realizing what she really was, but since the new member period is only a few weeks long now, that could be part of the issue.
This is the issue that I have with initiation happening so fast. You don't really know girls unless they're girls many actives already knew from high school (even then you never know how girls can let loose once on their own - I've seen that happen), but particularly in cases like this one where it seems that no-one knew this girl pre-pledging. Hard to vet someone like this, even if she had recs.

I also think when you had to work to be initiated - making your grades, learning about the sorority, getting to know your sisters - attaining membership was a richer experience. Goes back to you can't appreciate something in the same way when it's given to you. And being initiated so quickly feels like girls are "given" membership. I can't imagine being initiated that fast - pledgeship was so special, bonding with my pledge sisters while also getting to know the actives and our sorority. And that's not to say that actives initiated quickly don't appreciate their sorority - they do, but I think delayed initiation had many merits.

Delayed initiation was also protection. I knew a girl from my dorm who went wild after pledging her sorority...dancing on tabletops at frat parties, sleeping with guy after guy, getting sloppy drunk at every party....it was bad. She was de-pledged in short order. And if you met her under 'regular circumstances' you would be charmed. Like her former sorority was.