View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

ASU Pi Phi asked to keep quiet after being drugged

Hi, I recently heard about this situation from an alum of the Arizona State University Pi Beta Phi chapter, and I have not been able to get this woman’s story out of my mind.

Here it is in her own words: https://www.facebook.com/10001300941...6324101?sfns=1

TLDR: After the ASU Chapter President of Pi Beta Phi was drugged without her knowledge, she was told by the AAC and regional Pi Phi team to “‘lay low’ — don’t go to chapter, stay at [her] parent’s”, to take down her instagram post about the situation, and not to discuss this with the chapter. Then she was subjected to questioning by the Pi Phi regional volunteers about what happened that night and her social media history. After this, she states that she was given the option by Pi Phi to step down or be removed by Pi Phi nationals.

I would hope that supporting a sister through a traumatic experiwnce like this would be any GLO’s priority, and I’m very saddened to hear of this woman’s experience with Pi Phi. For the focus to be on public relations due to a social media post that was made about the situation is horrible. And to ask her to step down is even worse.

To ask her not to speak to the chapter and to lay low is awful too. Especially considering the context that sorority women tend to be at higher risk for crimes like sexual assault, which can involve being drugged without consent. Obviously this happens at college campuses. I’m sure that this could have been discussed in an appropriate way, possibly with an educational component following at some point (about being unknowingly drugged, about how to support sisters in similar situations and what resources are available, etc.).

This was handled really poorly. These are important conversations we need to be having. No one is being done a favor by someone being asked to keep quiet.