View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there are pros and cons doing it either way, but I also think that it may depend on the school and whether or not deferred recruitment is in effect. There are probably situations where even best efforts to hide RGs' identities are futile.

However, the focus should be on providing the PNMs with the best environment to make honest decisions, and I would think that at least attempting to keep RGs' affiliations unknown would be the best way to do that. The last thing you want is for a PNM to feel guilty about her rankings, or SIPing, or crying over her RG's group being her only option on pref day, etc. The PNMs should be comfortable talking to their RG and asking for advice without feeling afraid or guilty about doing so.

And the RGs should be strong enough people to accept the job and understand that not everyone is going to be in love with their chapter. They should be the person that is known to smile when it's hard to do so, and provide the best guidance possible under weird/awkward/difficult circumstances. There are sisters that perform the job wonderfully, and then there are those that aren't meant for such a position who end up doing it anyway. But it's just part of the system. I don't think that revealing their affiliations up front would make the situation any better.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-08-2016 at 06:08 PM.