View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a close friend whose daughter went through UT Austin rush about nine years ago. And this is second hand. She was from a public high school in a medium-sized Texas city. Both of her parents are very prominent in the medical profession and her mother's sorority was one of the smaller national sororities with a chapter at UT. It was brutal. Don't let anyone tell you it is not. She ended up joining her mom's sorority and had a great time at UT.

There are a lot of stories on this website (and others) about sorority rush at UT Austin - most are likely true (or somewhat true). But times change. My advice would be to prepare for the worse and hope for the best. And be open to joining any sorority that wants you. Wear clothes that are appropriate for UT, if you don't know what that is find out. (I know that is what you are trying to do, but I'm the last person to ask about that.) Coming from California, I'd suggest focusing more on finding connections and recommendations through your parents' friends and associates. There is plenty of advice on this website on rush and how to get recommendations. Find it and follow it.

One thing for sure is that Texas society is not what it once was and there is likely a lot of people in the UT Greek system from what I once heard a Texas probate attorney call "decaying society." In any event, Texans have traditionally been open and friendly, but don't confuse that friendliness with getting a bid. There will definitely be a culture difference, but you have as good a chance as anyone from out of state.

Also, keep in mind that there are several fraternities at UT that have many members attending Austin Community College with the hopes of transferring to UT. (This may or may not be important. But I find it kinda odd that girls will pay a lot of money and compete to get in "XYZ top house" only to socialize with community college kids.) This is a quirk at UT caused by the automatic admissions rules.

Hopefully - someone with more current knowledge will chime in.

Last edited by PhilTau; 02-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.