View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideMom View Post
My daughter got an invite via email thru the school email account to a party at a sorority. I don't want to say name of sorority or type, but it's on a Saturday from 6-9. Is it normal for sororities to have parties for Prospective New Recruites? If so, do they all have them and how important is it to go to these? We live 8 hrs away, so it's not exactly close by. And I did email the Greek office asking them about this, but haven't heard back yet. My daughter's future roommate got an invite too to another sorority party similar to this but on another weekend. I do know after May 1st no contact is allowed between the PNR's and the sorority, so maybe this is just a one time get to know you type party. Which is what I think it may be. What should she wear? d
Relax, RTMom. You probably haven't gotten a reply from Greek Affairs because they're on spring break this week. One day, they may get a job in the real world and find out that not everybody gets a spring break!

These spring parties are peculiar to the University of Alabama. They are invitation-only parties that the sororities may choose to host on certain dates only - I think on just those two weekends. Your daughter may (but probably won't) get invitations to all 16 participating sororities. Other girls may only get a few. I'm pretty sure all the sororities are participating, but it's optional for them, too.
The PNMs do NOT have to go, and if they live too far away or have other obligations, it will NOT affect them during recruitment in August. It's, as you say, an informal way to get better acquainted with the PNMs before "silence" begins. They know that high school senior years are busy.

I've heard "casual" attire, but a cute casual spring dress with flats would be appropriate, I think. Unless it's freezing, which it could be! In that case, the collegiate uniform of skinny jeans and tall boots would apply.

In the past, sororities would host parties at alums' homes all around the state during the summer....never mind that they've almost always been "illegal" and not according to UA Panhellenic rules. And high school girls would be invited to come spend the weekend during the school year, in the house, with accompanying fraternity parties. All that is now forbidden, and these parties (plus some around the state at Christmas) are allowed.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 03-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.