View Single Post
Old 04-13-2003, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: at my school..

Quote:
Originally posted by UF56
I disagree with this. The problem with my school in particular which makes it cutthroat is that there are too many of the great girls rushing that only want to be in certain houses and are not willing to go to other houses. And these certain houses can only take so many girls. I mean during first round almost all of these certain houses have to cut their numbers in half that means going from 1300-1400 down to 650. And our campus is one that many a girls feel that its better not to be greek than to be in a house that isnt considered one of the best.
That's what I'm saying. The problem at your school isn't that there are only a limited amount of "desirable" rushees going through. The problem at your school is that the rushees are more concerned with the perceived "status" of the sorority than, say, the rushees at the University of Minnesota are. So the girls at UF would be less likely to accept a "lower-tier" sorority than the girls at U of M would be.

It will be the case at every school that there will be not enough awesome girls so that every sorority will get a pledge class full of them. That's not a problem unique to schools with cut-throat rushes. The problem at your school is that so many of the rushees appear to have unrealistic standards as to the "tier" of groups they will allow themselves to belong to, as the "tier" of the group matters a lot more than it would at many other schools.