View Single Post
Old 04-13-2003, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: at my school..

Quote:
Originally posted by twinstars
I think it can be cut-throat among the top sororities, competing for certain rushees, because even though there are plenty of girls rushing, there is always that top 20% of the pool (or so) that any of the best houses would love to have. If you do succeed in getting those rushees, it's a big ego boost. It means your house beat out the competition (other very good houses). Guys talk about it.... "oh, did you hear theta (or whoever) got so-and-so? Her dad's the president of .... whatever"

It's so competitive because the top tier of sororities are all going after the same set of rushees. There aren't enough of those "cream of the crop" rushees to go around... someone's got to get them, and it might as well be your house.
But the not-enough-of-the-great-girls-rushing is true at EVERY school, not just the big Greek schools . . . so why does it only make things so cut-throat at certain schools?

I think you may have hit on something later in your post, though. My school is competitive, but definitely not cut-throat, and here, none of the fraternity men would ever care which sorority's pledge's dad is the president of something . . . unless he's the president of the U.S.! So depending on how much a given school cares about status, that would make a difference as to whether or not a rushee would be willing to pledge a house that's not one of the Big Three . . . or Top Half, or whatever. And it's not surprising that so many of the cut-throat schools are in the South, where your perceived "status" is much more important than in, say, the Midwest.

I also think that the amount of influence Greeks have on campus and how well-known they are makes a difference, too. If everybody on your campus knows the reputation of every sorority, you're probably going to be less likely to pledge a sub-par house than if the individual sorority stereotypes on your campus aren't known by anybody outside of the Greek system.