View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2: Philanthropy
Invites were ready the next day at 11am. We each had decorated bags that held our invites. We ranked when we received invites—meaning if you got 5, you picked your top three. I ran to my bag and dumped it out to see:

Sierra
Lucky You
Marrakesh

WHAT?! Ziggy Zinnia didn’t invite me back? I was heartbroken. I spent part of last night researching and falling more in love with Ziggy. I knew it was my fault—I was too frumpy, too awkward for them. So I moved on and put my faith in Sierra.

Lucky You
This party was on a separate day than the others. I wore this silk purple shirt that I am bummed I promptly lost. This chapter said their nationals was looking for a new philanthropy, so we ended up coloring and then the ladies told us there was a skit! But it wasn’t from them… the PNMs were putting on the skit. I was terrified. I was just getting over my deep fear of public speaking and now I was about to be put on the spot by women I barely knew. This threw Lucky You down to the bottom for me. (They no longer do this!)

Marrakesh
After my Lucky You experience, I was truly terrified to go on. I don’t recall what I wore for this party J’s best friend picked me up, who was a bit silly and definitely not your average sorority girl (but really, who is?). She seemed very nervous but was still quite nice. All of the girls were so welcoming. They asked me about myself and offered advice about freshmen year. I made a few jokes and they always genuinely laughed, not a fake polite one. They mentioned they had the highest GPA on campus as well, and I was very impressed. I really liked Marrakesh.

Sierra
Finally, more time with Sierra! We did a few team-building type games and they gave a short speech about their philanthropy, which I adored. However, I noticed that no one was coming up to me to talk. I was making small talk with the other PNMs until a Sierra would talk to them. I felt pretty lonely as they gathered us in a big circle—where they told us we all had to share an embarrassing story. All was funny until I shared my story (PM me for details about that) and NO ONE laughed. It was completely silent. I felt awful. I left the party and cried in my dorm.