View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

It's kind of funny that I "won" the worst MIL because going through it I never felt like I won anything. Thank goodness I had my own family to support me. My parents have been awesome through this whole thing and I have definitely learned to appreciate them a lot more.

I never knew why MIL didn't like me other than she didn't think we were right for each other. She said that time and time again. She told me several weeks before the wedding that, "no offense, but I don't see the two of you lasting." Another reason she doesn't like me- my sister had a baby out of wedlock when she was 22 and MIL thought that was so shamefull and called her trash to my face and said my whole family is a bunch of sinners (she's Catholic, I am not). So I think it's a ton of things- we are just not good enough apparently.

I started dating my husband a year after his dad died, so I think that also has something to do with it. Not only did MIL lose her husband but she "lost" her son, too, because he wasn't around as much to be with her on Friday nights when she was lonely, help her around the house, etc. So psychologically speaking (I am currently working on my Master's Degree in Counseling) it must have felt like I took him from her after she suffered a devestating loss. Her husband's death was somewhat unexpected (stroke). So I can sympathize. But there really isn't any excuse for her poor behavior towards me.

I don't speak to any of his family- he has a brother and a sister but they live out of town. He does kind of speak to them but with being away with the Army there isn't much time to talk. He will be coming home for Christmas and I asked him what he wanted to do about his mom and he said he wants nothing to do with her. I don't love the fact that they don't speak, I would like him to have closure. At the same time he has a job to do with the military and really doesn't have time for her drama.

I have no idea what the letters said. He read a few and they were just the same crap how we aren't good for each other and he should take this separation to get over me, etc. At that point he just stopped reading them and sent them back undeliverable.