Thread: Not typical PNM
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was in my sorority, I joined at 21, and we had our own group of 21-23 year olds. We felt pretty different than the 18-19 year olds already. We had different interests and were already at a different place in life. Most of us had taken a year or two off to work or serve in the military (me) so we had a different perspective. I couldn't imagine doing it at 30+.

Have you spent any considerable amount of time around 18-22 year olds? I have had part time jobs on and off for the past few years, and have worked with a lot of college kids. While we got along well enough at work, there was a clear line between who hung out together outside of work because we were simply at different places in life. Listening to their partying stories made me smile, but in no way did I want to be out there with them (I'm in my 30s).

I'm not saying this is all Greek life is about, but it is COLLEGE, and it's a significant part of what the social life of a young college student in general entails. For the other parts, volunteering, friendship, you could find avenues to do these things with other like minded people.

I don't know a whole lot about them (there are threads on here if you look) but there are community sororities out there for women who are out of college and looking for this sort of experience. Maybe someone more familiar will chime in? Or you could search for community sororities and see what comes up. The name of the most common one is escaping me at the moment.