Thread: "Forced" prefs?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl
Wait I thought she could be offered one, but if she accepts and then "drops", she is bound for one calendar year....
This is my understanding of how it should work.

Formal Recruitment: You attend however many pref parties, then you fill out your pref card and sign it. Signing your pref card indicates that you agree to accept a bid from any sorority that you list. If you receive a bid to a group you listed but don't like, you do not have to pledge, but you cannot pledge any other group for 1 calendar year. You can participate in formal rush the next year or in COB rush any time after the one-year period is up.

Snap Bids: If you receive a snap bid at the end of formal rush, from a sorority that was not listed on your pref card, you don't have to accept it. If you don't accept it, the one-year rule does not apply and you can do COB. If you do accept, pledge, then depledge, you are bound to that group for 1 year (I believe it's from the date you pledge, so you'd be able to do FR again the next year).

Informal Recruitment: If you receive a bid after participating in informal recruitment, you don't have to accept it. Again, if you don't accept, the one-year rule does not apply. If you pledge then depledge, you're bound for a year.