View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Wow - there are 6 groups who would love to recolonize at Stanford - and 4 are SINGLE LETTER chapters: DG, GPhiB, AOPi & SK. The other 2: AXO, SDT.

Question about 3 existing chapters at Stanford: Theta, Kappa & Chi O all had chapters Stanford very early on (but closed when Standford banned sororities in 1944, with the ban lifted in 1977). Does anyone know why those recolonizations don't have a "lower" original chapter name? Like, would Theta's original chapter designation have been the Alpha Alpha chapter? (That 1 seemed to be missing from the list of their chapters on Wikipedia & would fit the original colonization timeline.)
I'm not in any of those orgs, so that said:

Theta's chapter name at Stanford is Phi Deuteron, which would make it a single-letter chapter that was recolonized. KKG skipped all chapters starting with Alpha after their Alpha chapter, so they went straight from Omega to Beta Alpha in naming chapters. Beta Eta Deuteron fits that timeline as well. I think you know how their system works but for those who don't, Chi O has an interesting system where the second letter of the chapter name starts at Alpha and goes downward through Beta, Gamma, etc, but the first letter starts at Psi and goes upward. Nu Alpha would make it among the first chapters to have two letters for a chapter designation, I believe.

As to why those organizations decided to name their chapters the way they did, I couldn't tell you With the exception of accidentally skipping Xi when naming our single-letter chapters and then going back to it a few years later, ADPi goes alphabetically with no skips.