View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
Thank you so much for this comment. I could not agree more. I have zero issue with regions that like to stick to tradition. Have your boys wear Polo and your girls wear Lily, whatever, it's all good. I do, however, have an issue when this sense of sticking to tradition blatantly ignores the advancements in science, psychology and human rights that have time and time again shown that sexuality is completely uncontrollable and unchangeable.

Would a hyper-effeminate gay man who loves to design woman's clothes and a butchy lesbian who only wears Doc Martens and flannel find a home in a traditionally Southern GLO? Almost assuredly no, and my guess is that most who fit this stereotype would prefer to join any other organization BUT a traditional chapter. But the thing is that such a small fraction of the LGBT population comes even close to fitting those stereotypes. ALL large chapters have closeted members. I'm sorry, it is just a statistical probability. Allowing your brothers/sisters to go through the hyper vigilant, devastating and soul sucking hell that is being in the closet (and I'm not going to apologize for the extremism there, it really is that bad and lonely) just so you can stick to an antiquated and incorrect view of human nature is about as far from brotherhood and sisterhood as you can possibly get. It is nothing to be proud of.

I hope that even the most traditional chapter would accept a gay member of their chapter when considering the friendship and brotherhood/sisterhood they've built with them. I think the idea that this would not happen comes from the erroneous thought that when a member comes out it means he or she will now conform to x stereotype. In all actuality the only change that will probably occur is that the member will finally be able to lead a happy life being true to him/herself.