View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I am partial to Raleigh because I've been here for 5 years now and I love it! Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hil has received lots of accolades lately including "Best Place to Live". Below are a few links to articles. All three cities have major universities as well as lots of other great things to offer. Research Triangle Park is also located in this area. RTP is home to many different pharmaceutical and IT companies including IBM and GlaxoSmithKline.
I don't know a whole lot about the schools since I grew up in Winston-Salem before moving here for college. I have heard that there are a lot of good public and private schools though.
I have considered becoming involved in the Junior League if I'm still living here in a few years, but I do not know anything specific about the Raleigh chapter. I am willing to bet that it is very good.
There's not a lot of water here though. If you want to be on a lake I agree with the suggestions for the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. And if you want to be on the beach I think the best place on the NC coast is Wilmington. It's still pretty small, but it is growing a lot.
I hope this helps a little. Feel free to PM me for more specific info on these areas.

MSN's America's Best Places to Live
1. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill has the warmth and charm of a small southern town, while still being large enough to provide all the amenities of big-city living. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill's scores are above average in nearly every category. The city has the second-best health score in the nation, thanks to great air quality and affordable health care. The citizens of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill are a smart bunch—91% of its 312,000 residents have graduated from high school, and nearly 19% have a four-year college degree. A healthy economy and a low cost of living cement Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill's ranking as America's Best Place to Live.

CNN Money's Best in the South

Triangle Accolades